system calls, like uname

Aaron Gaudio icy_manipulator at mindless.com
Thu Jul 15 06:00:27 PDT 1999

I don't think this is in the scope of the LSB until someone does it and it beomes accepted usage.
AFAIK, the LSB is not the business of adding new and untested features to software (including the
kernel). The first step for something like this is to get the kernel developers to agree to it;
perhaps you should try the kernel-devel list.

And lo, the chronicles report that Lou Grinzo spake thusly unto the masses:

> I agree.  I think this is clearly a case where a standard would
> be very helpful.  There are several benefits to having this kind
> of information readily available via a standard mechanism and
> in a standard format.
>
> If nothing else, it would make cross-platform development (meaning
> for Linux on different architectures) a bit easier.  Given Linux's
> immense potential in this area, this sort of information gathering
> should be made easier.
>

> Lou

Aaron Gaudio
icy_manipulator @ mindless.com
http://www.rit.edu/~adg1653
"The fool finds ignorance all around him. The wise man finds ignorance within."