init file questions

Dr. Werner Fink werner at suse.de
Tue Jun 22 07:11:38 PDT 1999

On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 07:14:53PM -0700, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> A few open questions:
>
> What shell command "functions" should be provided (actually, the
> Debian start-stop-daemon command could be one of these)?
>
> Whether codes from /usr/include/sysexits.h should be used for some or
> all of the exit codes.
>
> When should we require or recommend some form of output or errors
> display?  People running init files on the command line don't always
> look for the exit value -- some form of output should be expected.
> (And this is perhaps best handled in the shell command functions.)
>
> And force-reload still bothers me a bit...  Is there someone from
> Debian who remembers the original rationale for it?

What's about the commands startproc or daemon, checkproc and killproc?
These commands are used to start, check or stop a job at RH and SuSE.
They could be written in (ba)sh or in C to avoid dependencies from
bigger packages like perl, awk, sed, ..., and clearly they all should be
documented by manual pages.  Traditional these commands were found
in the common sysvinit package of Miquel van Smoorenburg a long time.

What the exact difference is between restart and force-reload?
Many services are able to reload configuration by signaling it,
some services are not able to do that, therefore later ones have
to be simply restarted for a reload.  In other words reloadable
services can be reloaded or restarted, whereas not reloadable
ones the reload and restart option are identical, aren't they?

           Werner