example Linux machines

Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo jkaivo at ndn.net
Mon Jun 28 12:12:22 PDT 1999

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 harnett at us.ibm.com wrote:

> This brings up an interesting question (at least I think it's interesting).
> Will the sample implementation be packaged with a kernel and all other
> components necessary to host the LSB runtime environment?  If so that means the
> sample implementation will need to either be a distribution in its own right, or
> provide a "vendor-neutral" distribution on which to host the LSB sample
> implementation.
>
> Or, will the sample implementation only exist as a set of libraries that will
> need to be installed on an arbitrary distribution to be used?

If there were to be a sample implementation, it wouldn't be much. The
kernel (obviously), basic libraries, basic commands and utilities (expect
my initial proposal on that today), the filesystem layout according to
FHS, and the packaging system (which I beleive is still currently RPM as a
de facto standard). It wouldn't be a distribution in it's own right (at
least, not much of one, since it (probably) won't include Emacs), though
it could be thought of as a vendor neutral base distribution (to which all
other distributions could add Emacs and less important things like X ;).

--
Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo - jkaivo at ndn.net - http://www.ndn.net/
"As time goes on, my signature gets shorter and shorter..." - me