example Linux machines

V man venom at cibs9.sns.it
Mon Jun 28 16:34:30 PDT 1999

>If there were to be a sample implementation, it wouldn't be much. The
>kernel (obviously), basic libraries, basic commands and utilities (expect
>my initial proposal on that today), the filesystem layout according to
>FHS,
That was what i meant, plus a complite tree, also with maybe void directories
like /usr/X11R6/* (we don't need to install X, but give the tree)
> and the packaging system (which I beleive is still currently RPM as a
>de facto standard).
No, the only standard is tarballs, rpm is really used but a standard
is something different, so the dpkg of debian is not standard?
paradoxally slackware tgz is more standard, (if we can define something
as more standard than something else :) ).
> It wouldn't be a distribution in it's own right
>(at least, not much of one, since it (probably) won't include Emacs)
certainly, but it will include vi.
>it could be thought of as a vendor neutral base distribution
of course we don't need to care about libc version, so it
could not be properly a neutrall base, only a sample of core base
distribution, but with a almost complite Linux directories tree.

                                       Luigi Genoni