X11 file locations

Robert Current rob at current.nu
Tue Mar 16 18:52:10 PST 1999

Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> That works for me.
>
> Can you also check out the XFree86-related sections of FHS 2.0?  I'd
> like to update FHS 2.1 as a part of this.
>
>  /etc/X11   - http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-3.4.1.html
>  /usr/X11R6 - http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-4.1.html
>
> FHS 2.0 also mentions /var/state/xdm.

for xdm stuff /etc/X11/xdm seems to be used by a couple distributions.
I think it makes more sence to keep all the stuff in the same place
(etc) rather than spread it out (var), (but what do I know, I am a
little confuzed by the following:
/var/run/:$ file runlevel.dir
runlevel.dir: ASCII text
/var/run/:$ more runlevel.dir
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d

Seems since inittab defines the defaut runlevel, and it's in /etc, and
all the rc.d stuff is there, and the common place for the X11
configuration stuff seems to have drifted into /etc, what's still in
/var is leftovers that never got moved, and maybe it should be moved
over as well for good?

Speaking of X and standards, runlevel 3 in Debian is xdm, but it's 5 in
redhat, what's it in default XFree86?  And that should probably be
standardized(?)

>From a "proper" standpoint, maybe it should all just be moved back to
/var, BUT, I would personally argue that /etc is better, because /etc is
config stuff that (usually) rarely get's edited.  /var is where mail
spools are, news spools, and all kinds of stuff that rewrites
frequently.

My _opinion_:
So, to me, logic would say, /var and /tmp are some partitions that would
fragment a lot, and for stability-scalability-efficency, that's where
the frequently read/write/rewrite stuff should be, and the configuration
stuff should be safely tucked away on it's own partition that won't see
as much rewriting, and would be a little cleaner-safer.

--
"Robert W. Current" <rob at freshmeat.net> - email
http://chem20.chem.und.nodak.edu     - work stuff