package format

Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo jkaivo at ndn.net
Tue Mar 30 21:34:16 PST 1999

I beleive the current plan is to use RPM, as it is currently supported by
the most distributions and has already become basically the de facto
standard for binary software distribution.

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Seva wrote:

> Has there been any discussion on package formats?
>
> There are at least 4 different one out there...
>
> rpm, deb, slp, tgz, etc... What is the status on that...
>
> And what are the plans for LSB, when do you expect something usable that
> distributions can start implementing...
>
> /Simon
>
> --
> seva at seva.chicago.il.us
> http://seva.chicago.il.us
>
> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Michael Stone wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:43:19 -0500
> > From: Michael Stone <mstone at cs.loyola.edu>
> > To: lsb-discuss at lists.linuxbase.org
> > Subject: Re: /mnt/cdrom or /mnt ?

> > > Keep the / as clean as possible,
> > >
> > > Suggestions for /mnt
> > >
> > > /mnt/tmp	temp (what uses to be /mnt)
> > > /mnt/loop	for loopback devices
> > > /mnt/cdrom
> > > /mnt/floppy	(/mnt/jazz, /mnt/zip, etc)
> > > /mnt/remote	or /mnt/nfs for temp nfs mounts
> > > /mnt/win	if you have windows partitions
> >
> > This is, IMHO, way too complicated. I think a /cdrom is justified because
> > they're so common, and because the /cdrom mount point itself is fairly common.
> > But how necessary is a floppy mount point today, and for how much longer? And
> > specifying jazz, zip, dvd, etc. isn't real scalable. Anything beyond that
> > (e.g., non-*nix partitions or loopbacks) is getting fairly system-specific, and
> > is probably outside the scope of what FHS should specify.
> >
> > Mike Stone
> >

> --

Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo - jkaivo at nodomainname.net - jkaivo at ndn.net - whois JKK12
NoDomainName Networks - http://www.nodomainname.net/ - http://www.ndn.net/
"If it's not free software it sucks." - Richard Stallman