/mnt/cdrom or /mnt ?

Jochem Huhmann joh at unidui.uni-duisburg.de
Wed Mar 31 03:37:14 PST 1999

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:43:19 CDT Michael Stone wrote:

> This is, IMHO, way too complicated. I think a /cdrom is justified because
> they're so common, and because the /cdrom mount point itself is fairly common.
> But how necessary is a floppy mount point today, and for how much longer? And
> specifying jazz, zip, dvd, etc. isn't real scalable. Anything beyond that
> (e.g., non-*nix partitions or loopbacks) is getting fairly system-specific, and
> is probably outside the scope of what FHS should specify.

Partly agreed. The FHS should not specify where to mount everything
under the sun, but it should say where those mount points have to live
and where not. IMHO they should not live under / but under /mnt.

To say "hey, /cdrom is okay, because it is common, but please use
/mnt/dvd and /mnt/jazz" is clutter.

	Jochem

Jochem Huhmann  *  Duisburg, Germany  *  joh at uni-duisburg.de