rpm - packages incompatible

Thomas Fuerle fuerle at vipios.pri.univie.ac.at
Wed Mar 31 04:06:19 PST 1999

Hi,

hope I´m not offtopic. I think it´s strange, that rpm packages are
incompatible on different vendor distributions, e.g. almost everythings
runs on RH5.2, but I´m using also SuSE6.0, whereby both use glibc6 now.

e.g. packages like

cproto ... RH ok ... SuSE sometimes segmentation fault
smcs: http://www.smile.cpe.ku.ac.th/
xdir:   ... RH ok ... SuSE segmentation fault on KDE.
pvfs: http://ece.clemson.edu/parl/pvfs/
... RH ok ... SuSE troubles

can be installed without problems on both distributions, but on RH it
mostly works, on SuSE it has more troubles.

Are different Linux distributions not compatible to itself, then there
is something very wrong here ???

IMHO I hope linuxbase is the correct place to discuss this issues,
otherwise we have in one or two years RH and nothing else ... because
nothing is compatible anymore or R.H. certified ... strange

This posting is not against RH, its just a little yell from a sysop, who
has to run differnt vendor distributions with the same programs.

regards, Tom
--
Thomas Fuerle
mailto:fuerle at vipios.pri.univie.ac.at
http://vipios.pri.univie.ac.at
Institute for Applied Computer Science and Information Systems
University of  Vienna, Rathausstr. 19/4, A-1010 Vienna, Austria
Tel: +43 1 4277 38423