LSB Specification Technical meeting update

Daniel Quinlan quinlan at transmeta.com
Mon Nov 1 19:03:47 PST 1999

Here is what we think we know: the meeting will be on Sunday December
12th and Monday December 13th with an shorter meeting possibly on
Saturday December 11th using an IBM meeting facility.

The issue with meeting in NYC prior to The Bazaar is a shortage of
rooms in Manhattan.  One theory behind this revolves around people
coming into the city to do Christmas shopping.

I believe we will be able to avoid moving the location.  John Terpstra
was able to get a small block of rooms at one nearby hotel and if we
can get another block, I think we'll be okay.  But, I do need a better
idea of who is coming.  Here is what I have down so far:

    has room     Daniel Quinlan <quinlan at transmeta.com>
    has room?    George Kraft IV <gk4 at us.ibm.com>
    has room     Jim Knoble <jmknoble at pobox.com>
    has room     Shaya Potter <spotter at yucs.org>
    using block  John H Terpstra <jht at turbolinux.com>
    room needed  Andrew Josey <ajosey at rdg.opengroup.org>
    room needed  Dale Scheetz <dwarf at polaris.net>
    room needed  H. Peter Anvin <hpa at transmeta.com>
    room needed  Markus Rex <msrex at suse.de>
    room needed  Michael Perry <mperry at linuxcare.com>
    room needed  Stuart Anderson <anderson at metrolink.com>
    ?            Ralf Flaxa <rf at caldera.de>
    ?            Ian Jackson
    ?            Ted Ts'o <tytso at valinux.com>
    ?            someone from Red Hat
    ?            anyone else?

I will sending out the final plan tomorrow.  If you can reserve a room
*without a penalty*, I suggest doing that.

Here is some info from George Kraft at IBM about the meeting facility:

    I have booked a conference room at IBM on Saturday December 11th
    at 1:00 PM PST to 9:00 PM, then on Sunday December 12th and Monday
    December 13th from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.  There will be seating for
    twenty, an overhead projector, an analogue line, and bathroom
    facilities.  IBM is closed on the weekends, so security will let
    us in and I have arranged to have the heat turned on.  :-) We will
    need to dine out or order delivery (IBM site co-ordinator will
    give recommendations and menus).  IBM is located at 590 Madison
    Avenue which is at the south east corner of Central Park.  It is
    almost directly across Central Park from the Empire hotel.

    http://www.go-newyorkcity.com/manhattan/

    I have called the Empire Hotel.  Earthweb has blocked reserved 20
    rooms for Sunday December 12th, then a few more on Monday, then
    about a hundred for the conference at $185/night.  I was able to
    book my room from Sunday the 12th to Friday the 17th; however, I
    am having difficulties locating a room for Saturday night.  As I'm
    writing this note, I have American Express travel trying to find a
    room (under $300) in midtown New York for the 11th.  :-)

    Please forward this note to others interested in attending the LSB
    Specification Technical Meeting in New York City.

    http://www.linuxbase.org/talks/19991027.html

A few more hotels (of many) to try:

    Best Western, Manhattan 17 W. 32nd Street
    212-736-1600 (voice), 1-800-551-2303 (reservations), 212-563-4007 (fax)

    St Moritz On The Park, 50 Central Park South 6th Ave, New York NY 10019
    212-752-7760 (voice), 212-688-6619 (fax)

Dan