Commands and Utilities Proposal, 0.2

H. Peter Anvin hpa at transmeta.com
Tue Nov 23 13:05:51 PST 1999

Sean Channel wrote:

> I think it's important to keep in mind that, with Linux, you cannot
> tell the user community how they should program, or use the system:
> LSB, IMHO, must reflect what people actually do and expect of Linux,
> rather than telling them how you or I think they ought to use it.
>
> So, I would be opposed to specifying anything on the grounds that
> one "should" or "should not" do things a certain way.  System V was
> a great example of what happens when a committee of sorts _decides_
> what is good and bad style.

Microsoft is a great example on what happens when you cater to every
idiotic program someone has ever written.

/usr/sbin/sendmail is what has been the standard way of submitting mail
for delivery since the early FSSTND (/usr/lib/sendmail before then.)

	-hpa

--
<hpa at transmeta.com> at work, <hpa at zytor.com> in private!