Version & Distribution identification

Lenz Grimmer grimmer at suse.de
Tue Apr 25 06:56:19 PDT 2000

Hi,

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Christopher Yeoh wrote:

> Apologies if this has been discussed before, but a couple of things
> that I think would be useful as part of the LSB specification:
>
> - a file which identifies the version of the LSB to which
>   the distribution is compliant against.
>
> - a file which contains the name and version of the distribution which
>   would provide a standard way of working out which distro is installed.
>
> I'd be happy to write up this formally for the specification if people
> think its a good idea.

I think it is a good idea. Some distributors already started this by
creating a file /etc/<distribution>-release. For example, SuSE has the
following:

# cat /etc/SuSE-release
SuSE Linux 6.4 (i386)
VERSION = 6.4

However, the file name is of course different on other distributions :)
I guess it is /etc/RedHat-release on Red Hat.

About the first question: what about /etc/FHS-Release? This could be part
of the LSB-compatibility package.

Bye,
	LenZ