how to find out which distribution is runnig (/etc/LINUX-release?)

Erik Troan ewt at redhat.com
Fri Aug 11 07:51:59 PDT 2000

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Stephan Lauffer wrote:

> A file like /etc/LINUX-release would be fine I think.
> It could contain some information like the name of the distribution,
> the version number and the architecture... like
> DISTRIBUTION = SuSE
> VERSION = 7.0
> ARCH = i386
> and maybe some additional infos...
>
> What do you think about?

Fine, except for VERSION. As folks upgrade packages by hand, the VERSION
field begins to lost meaning at an alarming rate. Folks that need to know
stuff about a system need take an autoconf style approach in any event, and
look for the features they need/want/don't want rather then relying on
a (often) outdated VERSION.

Erik