Standard way to detect the Linux distro installed

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jul 27 23:00:02 PDT 2000

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

> We spoke about this at the last LSB meeting. The consens was, that
> uname should be patched to display the Distribution and version if
> you use special parameter.
> But we also said that this should only be used for support questions
> and finding problems, not for installation.

I don't think you can control that. If the command is widely and
consistently implemented, it will be used in whatever way users and
vendors want.

An ISV may design their app to installs to an LSB spec, but when possible
to take advantage of a special facility only avalable on certain distros.

The LSB can recommend against such practice but probably can't stop it.

- Evan