RFC

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Wed Mar 15 07:55:16 PST 2000

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Robert W. Current wrote:

> because it's being done doesn't make it "right"
>
> It's wrong, and causeing problems.  As time and software progress, it
> will get worse.

Robert, you might want to stop using flamebait words such as "right" and
"wrong", when it is clear that they are just your personal opinions.

The LSB is about establishing a standard, and that means getting people to
compromise on their views of "right" and "wrong" in order to reach a
common standard.

If there was a "right" and "wrong", there wouldn't be 20+ Linux
distributions.  Remember, even your beloved BSD can't agree with itself,
as demonstrated by FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD.

There are many Linux distributions because there are many ways to do
things, and many different styles.  Instead of whacking people about the
head with what's "right", perhaps you ought to instead look at what we can
agree upon, and go from there.  That is what the LSB is doing.

Thanks for your concern and desire to help.
Jeffrey.

o-----------------------------------o
| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "At the beginning of the week, we sealed  |
| Network Systems Management |  ten BSD programmers into a computer room |
| Sprint Communications      |  with a single distribution of BSD Unix.  |
o----------------------------|  Upon opening the room after seven days,  |
                             |  we found all ten programmers dead,       |
                             |  clutching each others' throats, and      |
                             |  thirteen new flavors of BSD."            |
                             |  -- Unknown                               |