RFC

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Wed Mar 15 14:04:17 PST 2000

On 15 Mar 2000, Jochem Huhmann wrote:

> Debian is at least here in Europe quite common (although I personally
> do know Redhat better, I've only recently started to use Debian more
> often) and it is not enough just to have a "standard", it also has to
> make sense.

I agree, but a common package format is desirable, and RPM is adequate
enough technically, and it has the dominant mindshare.  It makes an
excellent choice for a standard.

> RPM imposes this /usr-bloat, since packages seldom make differences
> between "system as delivered" and absolutely unimportant stuff.

I think you are confusing "RPM" and "Red Hat".  RPM doesn't force packages
to be in /usr.   In fact, RPM supports relocatable packages, and a well
written /etc/rpmrc can overcome many differences between distributions.

> This is a discussion list and opinions are welcomed on most discussion
> lists.

I agree, and I should have worded my reply differently.  I probably should
have stated instead that more people would take his ideas seriously if
they were more clearly laid out and complete with a suggested
implementation.  I for one found them very hard to follow.

Thanks,
Jeffrey.

| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "Protecting essential freedoms is always  |
| Network Systems Management |  a matter of restricting the actions that |
| Sprint Communications      |  would deny them.  Remember, your freedom |
o----------------------------|  to swing your fist ends at the tip of my |
                             |  nose."                                   |
                             |  -- Richard Stallman                      |