RFC

Stuart Anderson anderson at metrolink.com
Thu Mar 16 08:03:38 PST 2000

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Robert W. Current, Ph.D. wrote:

> Arguably, yes.  And, if it's small middleware, I don't have an issue
> with considering it's inclusion.  But, libncurses amounts to what, 4M or
> so?  That's definitely borderline, but arguable.  X, I would have to
> differ on that point, based on size.
> $ pwd
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> $ du -sh
> 47M     .

Your including a LOT more stuff than is actually specified in the LSB

$ du -sh libICE.so.6.3 libSM.so.6.0 libX11.so.6.1 libXext.so.6.3 libXt.so.6.0
100k    libICE.so.6.3
40k     libSM.so.6.0
788k    libX11.so.6.1
60k     libXext.so.6.3
352k    libXt.so.6.0

> Given, that's a single, maybe not the best example, but the point
> remains, there are many people using, and looking at Linux, that would
> embrace a standard, but not if it's a huge thing that requires 100M.

This is why there has been discussions about specifying embeddable susbsets.

> Again, that's just a "let's throw everything including the kitchen sink
> in" mentality.  And, there is no reason X can't simply be treated as an
> optional layer on the base.

We were avoiding "optional" components because we thought that it would be
confusing. You do make some good points to the contrary, so we may have
to think about this some.

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson at metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
4711 North Powerline Road                        129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.938.0283                              voice: 803.951.3630
fax:   954.938.1982                              SkyTel: 800.405.3401
http://www.metrolink.com/