X Proposal

tytso at mit.edu tytso at mit.edu
Thu Mar 16 20:32:10 PST 2000

   Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 22:20:56 -0500
   From: "Robert W. Current" <current at hel-inc.com>

   I propose X, in a full useable implementation be a "Level 2" LSB
   compliant standard.

   This will allow LSB "Level 2" to be more useful to software developers
   who wish to provide X applications.

Do we really think that any distributions will not be shipping X
libraries?  Personally, I can't believe it.  X is simply too
fundamental.  Certainly the default case will be that X will be
supplied.

I don't think the complexity and the resulting user confusion about
"Level 1" vs "level 2" requiring applications, and "level 1" vs "level
2" requiring distributions, is worth it.

						-Ted