File Systems.

Erik Troan ewt at redhat.com
Mon Mar 20 06:28:42 PST 2000

On 20 Mar 2000, Jochem Huhmann wrote:

> We agree on that: /usr is correct for packages that come with the
> operating system. I would like to hear from you (or from the LSB
> actually) *what* is considered to belong to the operating system.  So,
> what parts of Redhat (Caldera, Debian, Mandrake, SuSE, ...) belong to
> the "operating system" and what parts are distributed 3rd party
> software? Again: Is Netscape part of the OS?

Whatever comes with any of them.

I don't see any need for the contents of /usr/bin to be idential between
LSB systems. I see a strong need for a common intersection across all
distributions, and that intersection (or perhaps some subset of it) should
be the LSB.

Is your goal really to ensure "ls -lR /usr" is identical on all LSB systems?
If so, why?

Erik