File Systems.

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Mar 20 08:14:54 PST 2000

Erik Troan <ewt at redhat.com>:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
> > Umm... RedHat has a funny hybrid between FHS and FSSTND.  Right now I
> > would say it's more FHS than FSSTND, so if I were you I'd seriously move
> > to FHS all the way with RedHat 7.0.
>
> Yeah, that's probably more accurate. We've been slowly moving, but I doubt
> we'll do anything dramatic before the LSB-final version of LHS is issued.

Considering Red Hat's market-leading position, I think it's fair for
LSB to ask Red Hat to lead a little more aggressively than that.

The reality we're all dancing around is that Red Hat's choice in this
regard will by itself effectively make or break the FHS.  Therefore,
if Red Hat wants to make FHS work (and I am presuming that is true)
then now is none too soon to start moving.
--

See, when the GOVERNMENT spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money
is left in the hands of TAXPAYERS, God only knows what they do with it.  Bake