File Systems.

Jochem Huhmann joh at gmx.net
Mon Mar 20 09:59:25 PST 2000

* Erik Troan <ewt at redhat.com> wrote:
> Is your goal really to ensure "ls -lR /usr" is identical on all LSB systems?

Would be a nice goal, wouldn't it? But no, it don't has to be
identical. Distributors should just decide what they are: Distributors
of Linux with added software-packages (open source and commercial, I
wouldn't make any difference here) or OS vendors.

> If so, why?

Sorry for asking back: What technical or logical reasons do distributors
have to insist on defining at will what is part of the base system and
what not? As I've said more than once, the issue actually is not where
the software should go to, the issue is if LSB should define a base
system or not.

        Jochem