File Systems.

Nicholas Petreley nicholas at petreley.com
Wed Mar 22 09:04:30 PST 2000

That's assuming they have a separate /usr partition, which might be valid -
I don't know what's out there.  How about a smart install?  The expert
installation program says something like "We strongly recommend (in addition
to a separate /usr partition) a separate /opt partition.

Then the installation program can figure out what to do based on what the
user/admin decides to do. Pardon the silly pseudo code, but considering
we're probably only really talking about the "big three" offenders...

for [i in netscape, gnome, kde]
   if [/opt exists and is big enough] then
       move/upgrade/install i from /usr/whatever to /opt/i

One might add:

if [! /opt && / isn't big enough to add /opt] then
   mkdir /usr/somewhere
   ln -s /usr/somewhere /opt
      for [i in netscape, gnome, kde]
        move/upgrade/etc...