Wake Up and Smell the Coffee It's Not 1970!

H. Peter Anvin hpa at transmeta.com
Sat Mar 25 16:29:58 PST 2000

Philip Rackus wrote:

> I personally believe that layering the LSB is a **good thing**, however (there is
> always a however)  the trap is that if you create to many layers, the possible
> combinations of layers means that you don't have a standard at all, and your back
> to square one.  Layering can work if it is kept to two or three layers at most.

I think POSIX did it very well: create a set of options.  Then define
option groups as so-called profiles.  To be compliant with a specific
profile you have to support all the options that constitute that
profile.

However, I would be *much* happier putting this discussion off until we
have one published and preferrably accepted standard.  Time is running
out, quickly.

	-hpa