#! -- reconsideration?

Maurizio De Cecco maurizio at mandrakesoft.com
Thu May 11 05:56:47 PDT 2000

Ted Baker <baker at dad.cs.fsu.edu> writes:

> | > Or, pick something else, like your favorit cartoon expletive
> | > #*?&!#@*#!.
>
> | If (and only if) a new syntax/mechanism have to be defined, could
> | be a good idea to explicitly separate in the syntax itself
> | the standard body from the version from the command/interpreted executed ?
>
> That is what I had in mind, i.e., to separate the issue of how
> to get the standard POSIX shell from the more general issue of
> how to support various other interpreters (Perl, etc.).  The latter
> interpreters are pretty well outside the scope of POSIX.

Agree; actually i typed "from the version" instead of "and the version";
and what i meant is that the standard syntax should be generic with respect
to  standard body, so POSIX should not be a keyword, but an argument,
and constraint on the version should be included (this make me think
to the feature provided by package systems like rpm  ... ).

Maurizio

--
Maurizio De Cecco
MandrakeSoft 		http://www.mandrakesoft.com/