Universal Package Management System?

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Thu Nov 16 14:03:50 PST 2000

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Sarel J. Botha wrote:

> Has anyone thought about the feasability of a universal package
> management system? It would define a new, perfect specification for a
> package archive, but should also be able to install existing packages
> like .deb and .rpm.

Well, I doubt seriously that it's possible to define a "perfect" package
management system -- you'll always find someone who doesn't like it.  :-)

> Before I continue, is this even the place for me to talk about this?
> Has anyone maybe started work on something like this?

Yes, there is already a taskforce working on it (LSB Taskforce 2).  I
suggest you talk to George Kraft if you are interested in contributing.

Jeffrey.

| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "One World, One Web, One Program"       |
| Network Systems Management |  -- Microsoft Promotional Ad            |
| Sprint Communications      | "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer"       |