Packaging and installation

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Oct 23 16:03:44 PDT 2000

Nicholas Petreley <nicholas at petreley.com>:
> Instead, we should define an installation protocol that
> looks for programs and libraries within the filesystem
> itself in order to detect if dependencies are met.

Nick, I think this is a case where the search for perfection is far less
important that getting a solution in place that does 90% of the job and
can evolve to do 100%.

Anyone who cares about solving this problem knows where the RPM sources are,
and I'm sure the Red Hat guys would be happy to fold in the contribution.
I say let's go for RPM rather than letting the better be the worst enemy
of the good.

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a
troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left
to irresponsible action."
	-- George Washington, in a speech of January 7, 1790