Packaging and installation

Bodo Bauer bb at turbolinux.com
Mon Oct 23 16:42:44 PDT 2000

Nicholas Petreley (nicholas at petreley.com) wrote:
> * Bodo Bauer (bb at turbolinux.com) [001023 16:04]:
> > Eric S. Raymond (esr at thyrsus.com) wrote:
> > >
> > > Nick, I think this is a case where the search for perfection is far less
> > > important that getting a solution in place that does 90% of the job and
> > > can evolve to do 100%.
> >
> > I (as an ex Zenguin guy...:) agree with Eric. We have RPM and it works well
> > in most of the cases. A 100% solution is too much of a dream to become
> > reality any time soon. And quite frankly I don't know if I'd like to
> > have one and only one package format. Competition is good and it drives
> > technology (see Gnome/KDE... :).
>
> Huh?  One of my main points was that a protocol approach
> allows you to use any package format.

Sorry, didn't mean to put you in a corner there. But still I think we
should rather spent more effort in defining the RPM format more closely
than looking for the perfect solution. I'm sure there is a procedural
way to do it. But even the Zenguin approach was using the common package
formats. The idea was to have a precedural analysis of the exosting
system and the create native (whatever native is) packages on the fly
and install them on the system. This approach however doens't work
for initital installation.

BB
--
Bodo Bauer                                      Principal Software Engineer
bb at turbolinux.com                                 http://www.turbolinux.com