Packaging and installation

V-man venom at DarkStar.sns.it
Tue Oct 24 07:26:56 PDT 2000

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Rahul Dave wrote:

> A long long time ago, when LSB was starting up,
> I wrote a proposal to use RDF metadata in a package management system: the idea
> was to let binary and source and other installations all co-exist, without
> affecting multiple databases. Basically there would be an API which installers
> would use, and which would have to be implemented by pakage managers..
> Its at
> http://reno.cis.upenn.edu/~rahul/standards/packrdf/
Yes i remember it, but at the times the most were thinking that
rpm should have been promoted as the ufficial packet manager...

> There wasnt much interest then, so I dropped the whole idea..but since the topic
> came up again, I thought I'd bring it up again, incase there is anything useful
> (which I still think there is..)
> Rahul
Also now i still think that tgz as is managed by slackware is
the simpler and most flexible package system. we could please conside
the opportunity to eveolve this one instead of haveing
so mutch pain with rpm?
i am following this discussion with a lot of interess, but
sometime i think we are loosing the central point, that is
to have a clean, painless (smart dependences), usefull packages system.

Luigi Genoni