Packaging and installation

Nicholas Petreley nicholas at petreley.com
Tue Oct 24 17:46:57 PDT 2000

* Anthony W. Youngman (wol at thewolery.demon.co.uk) [001024 17:36]:

> Which is why Nick and myself are strongly in favour of an API which
> tells you WHAT IS PRESENT.

EXACTLY.  I haven't specifically said API, but that would
be an excellent way to solve the problem.  I don't care if
the API queries and writes to an RPM database.  That's not
the point.  The API approach is the point.  As Anthony
said, you can even embed that within a Makefile, which
means you can "make install" and still play nice with the
packages you install.

If there's a better approach than an API, let's figure it
out, but an API sounds great to me.

> I gather there is now an interface that says "Package LSB version 1 is
> installed". Good engineering says "solve the generic, let the specific
> look after itself". WHY THE HELL HAVE WE SOLVED A SPECIFIC INSTANCE OF A
> GENERIC PROBLEM !!!!!!!!

EXACTLY on target again.

-Nick

Nicholas Petreley   Caldera Systems - LinuxWorld/InfoWorld
nicholas at petreley.com - http://www.petreley.com - Eph 6:12