Packaging stuff

Stuart Anderson anderson at metrolink.com
Tue Oct 24 13:59:09 PDT 2000

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

> >What commands can be used by these scripts needs to be specified. The list of
> >available commands in the LSB covers this.
>
> Start thinking "out of the box". You are stuck in the mould of what's
> already been "sort of" specified. Why not take a completely new tack?

Anything that is added needs to be properly documented. The list of commands
that have been selected so far have such documentation. I think that any other
command for which comparable documentation was available would be considered.

> >What does not need to be standardized?
> >
> >How the installation tool works does not need to be standardized. Only the
> >command for invoking it needs to be specified.
>
> IE a standard API!

Do you (and Nick) mean a C library with programming interfaces? I don't
understand why you would want that vs a command that hides the details of the
backend DB. A single lsb_install command could be used to install the package,
and make queries of the database without having to get into too much low level
details. You need a command to be able to use in any makefile/configure based
system which has been aluded to in this thread.

Am I misinterpreting something here?

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson at metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
fax:   954.938.1982                              SkyTel: 800.405.3401
http://www.metrolink.com/