Modules Standard, extended to kernel code

Noah Romer klevin at eskimo.com
Mon Sep 11 12:31:04 PDT 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Pedro Bueno wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think that enabling the linux kernel option CONFIG_MODVERSIONS, in some kind,
> helps to deals with some modules since it makes the modules less dependent on
> the kernel version. And there is another aspect that should be observed, that
> is in user side. Planning a standard to kernel modules, we could have a
> execellent choice to developers, as well to users, since, nowadays each module
> developer create his own way to provide it, some uses rpm, some tar.gz, bz2,
> with pure .c files with inside instructions to compile, or with Makefiles
> files...
> So , if there is no plan to create a standard for this issue, we really should
> have a effort to create a propousal to it here in LSB.
>
> Pedro Bueno

It seems like the two of you are talking about separate things. If I'm not
mistaken, Pedro, you're talking about a standard for how to distribute and
install modules that aren't in the kernel source code tarballs and David,
you're talking about a standard interface in the kernel for driver writers
to hook into. I don't know much about Pedro's suggestion, although it
seems like it would fit w/in the concept of the LSB.

As far as the kernel interface standard, David, have you taken a look at
the linux-kernel mailing list archives?
http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/index.epl provides summaries of the
major threads each week and well as links to the actuall messages. This is
a subject that comes up w/ some frequency on linux-kernel (and certainly
seems beyond the scope of the LSB). If this is what you're talking about,
you might find the discussions that have already taken place enlightening.