LSB1.1: /proc/cpuinfo

Stuart Anderson anderson at metrolink.com
Thu Jan 3 15:35:34 PST 2002

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> What about checking yourself :)

If I only had all of the hardware ....

> I have collected a number of examples on:
>
> 	http://people.nl.linux.org/~hch/cpuinfo/

Thanks, this is very helpful.

> Maybe you should introduce something like uname -f (f for features) in
> LSB and make this backed by /proc/cpuinfo in the current implementation?

I would prefer to document something that already exists, and not require
that a new feature has to be implemented by everyone. Also, it's slightly
easier for an application to just open a text file instead of having to popen()
a command.

> This way applications do not have to worry about changes to kernel
> internals.

That is one of our goals 8-).

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson at metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
http://www.metrolink.com/                        XFree86 Core Team