LSB1.1: /proc/cpuinfo

Joerg Schilling schilling at fokus.gmd.de
Thu Jan 3 16:54:07 PST 2002

>From alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk Fri Jan  4 01:48:32 2002

>> This is wrong and you should know about it as we had more then one personal
>> discussion about exactly this fact. Not even a simple program that uses only
>> ctype.h will run correctly if you go <= glibc-2.1.

>Take an RH box with glibc 2.0.7. You'll note that while glibc had (and has!)
>plenty of bugs they were not biting the apps people were using (otherwise
>they wouldnt have been able to use glibc 2.0.7) and that release.

I received many "bug reports" for cdrecord about 2 years ago.

The reason was that "cdrecord dev=xxx ..." won't work because the bit mask
definitions in ctype.h did change and for this reason, cdrecold by using
getallargs would assume that dev= is not an option but a file type argument.

I had to send plenty of mails stating: don't use precompiled versions of
cdrecord because Linux is not binary compatible to itself. You need to compile
an application on the machine you like to run it :-(

As you see there _have_ been incompatible changes without a reason.

If you like to care Linux users starting from now this is a nice idea, however
it was not done in former times.

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling at fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling