LSB1.1: /proc/cpuinfo

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Jan 4 10:10:43 PST 2002

> #CPU's is in sysconf() already. (Yes glibc happens to then go poke in
> /proc at the moment but that doesnt mean we have to assume
> glibc wont in
> the future use a kernel facility thats more convenient. In fact newer
> glibcs will probably need updating to get the full benefit of
> the upcoming
> CPU hot plug patches (sysconf in POSIX/SuS already supports asking for
> "number of cpus" and "number of cpus online"

Just curious... is there any mechanism for processor reservation/binding
present or planned?

> > some of these criteria are used to determine
> > licensing thingies in some circles, as in
> > "price depends on raw power of the machine".
>
> Which has nothing to do with the CPU speed nowdays. A 2GHz
> PIV is much like
> a 1.6GHz Athlon. A 1GHz C3 is much like a 700MHz Celeron. And
> of course the
> ratio is heavily application dependant since the DDR RAM on an Athlon
> matters to some apps while the bus bandwidth of the PIV
> matters to others.

Who ever said irrelevant criteria didn't still matter to people?

'Far as I can tell, the software industry has been trying to
figure out how to license enterprise-class software for the
whole 21 years I've been in the business and probably a lot
longer, and still don't really have a good model.

Mats