Proposal: cpuinfo(1)

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Mon Jan 7 13:00:56 PST 2002

Previously Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>      --bb      Report the sum of the bogo-mips values of all online processors.

Having them individually would be useful as well I guess. I suspect
they are not guaranteerd the same for all processors in a multiprocessor
machine.

>      --cc      Report cache-size of the biggest CPU-controlled hardware cache.

Is this useful?

>      If ccppuuiinnffoo is unable to determine the wanted information it returns the
>      sring "unknown".

sring -> string

Having a subarchitecture might also be useful. Consider the multiple
types of m68k machines for example. This information can be gotten
from either /proc/hardware or /proc/cpuinfo depending on the
architecture.

Wichert.