Proposal: cpuinfo(1)

George Kraft IV gk4 at austin.ibm.com
Wed Jan 9 14:39:05 PST 2002

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:57:33PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > As current /proc/cpuinfo is unportable and thus not suitable for LSB
> > > in my eyes, I'd like to propose a new tool, cpuinfo(1) as replacement.
> > >
> > > Cpuinfo is supposed to allow retrieving a subset of the contents of
> > > the i386 /proc/cpuinfo in a portable way.
> >
> > I think thats an excellent idea.
>
> The first release of cpuinfo(1), which is still i386-only can be found
> at:
>
>         http://people.nl.linux.org/~hch/cpuinfo/cpuinfo-0.1.tar.gz
>
> Please give me feedback (and/or patches) for this version if possible.
>
>         Christoph

Per the LSB forums, the FSG board, and the LSB core team, the /proc/cpuinfo will
be removed from gLSB v1.1.0.   The LSB core team would like to wait for an
established solution (meaning we need to get cpuinfo(1) in the distros).

Thanks Christoph for the cpuinfo(1) command!

I would like to thank everyone who helped with this gLSB issue.

Cheers,

--
George Kraft IV
gk4 at austin.ibm.com