init scripts and Required-Start

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Sun Jan 27 01:59:56 PST 2002

Hi,

I found a problem with our init script design. We have the flag
"Required-Start" and all listed services must be started before the
init script is allowed to be started. I undestand it in this way,
that an error should be printed if not all required services are
installed ?

My problem: for ypbind, I have 2 dependencies:
1. portmap, it is a hard requirement and it must be running before
   ypbind could be started
2. ypserv: If ypserv is installed and configured, ypbind must be
   started after it. If it is not installed or confiured (on a NIS
   client, for example), we can ignore it.

How should I write this dependencies in our current init script
header? I think the only solution would be a second Start (and
Stop ?) field, one for hard requirements, one for soft.

Comments?

  Thorsten

Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk at suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Deutschherrenstr. 15-19       D-90429 Nuernberg