[lsb-futures] Re: Configuration File Spec part of LSB?

Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando gorlando at futuretg.com
Tue Jul 16 07:44:37 PDT 2002

Matt Wilson wrote:

>On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 03:44:58PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>

>>The second observation I would make is that given the merger of SuSE,
>>Turbo Linux, Caldera, etc. into the United Linux distribution, if
>>you're right that SuSE is already using the rc.config.d system here
>>are some things that could be done to popularize it.
>>
>>1)  Try to convince Red Hat to adopt this scheme.
>>
>>2)  Try to convince Debian to adopt this scheme.  (Be prepared for
>>nasty politics.)
>>
>>3) Suggest that this directory be documented in the Filesystem
>>Hierarchy Standard.
>>

>It is safe to say that more distributions are using an /etc/sysconfig
>scheme than anything else.  In SuSE Linux 8.0 there is an
>/etc/sysconfig directory, but the file contents don't match the other
>/etc/sysconfig-using distros.

Hi,

    I wrote a Complete Training for all these distro, and therefore I
know very well
    what they did.

    Would be 100 times more easy that SuSE adopt a RedHat Linux
complaint System
    like Caldera, Conectiva adopt in the past. I don't remember
TurboLinux, but also
    them seems uses a "standard" IBM/HP/Silicon/SCO behaviour.

    SuSE is "another planet" ... on Linux.

    Different "init" level (5 is not included, 3 is equivalent to 2), a
lot of etc...

    About SysV init dir they have also difference.

    Just to be "rude" with SuSE ... will be better if they forget what
they did
    in the past and moves to join to "the rest of us" .

Thanks,
Giovanni.

>Cheers,
>
>Matt

  Future Technologies, The TOTAL Linux Company!

   http://www.futuretg.com
   ftp://ftp.futuretg.com/
   mailto:gorlando at futuretg.com

   Italia:                          USA
   Via Cairoli, 1                   1620 26th Street - 3rd floor South Tower
   33170 - Pordenone (PN)           Santa Monica - CA

   Telefono: +39 0434 - 209 107.
   Fax:      +39 0434 - 209 510.

	http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com -  The best training product ever made!
	http://www.futuretg.com/FTOSX - The best Operating System ever made!