[lsb-futures] Re: Configuration File Spec part of LSB?

Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando gorlando at futuretg.com
Wed Jul 17 05:34:52 PDT 2002

Bo Thorsen wrote:

>On Tuesday 16 July 2002 16:44, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:
>

>>Matt Wilson wrote:

>>>It is safe to say that more distributions are using an /etc/sysconfig
>>>scheme than anything else.  In SuSE Linux 8.0 there is an
>>>/etc/sysconfig directory, but the file contents don't match the other
>>>/etc/sysconfig-using distros.
>>>

>>Hi,
>>
>>    I wrote a Complete Training for all these distro, and therefore I
>>know very well
>>    what they did.
>>
>>    Would be 100 times more easy that SuSE adopt a RedHat Linux
>>complaint System
>>    like Caldera, Conectiva adopt in the past. I don't remember
>>TurboLinux, but also
>>    them seems uses a "standard" IBM/HP/Silicon/SCO behaviour.
>>
>>    SuSE is "another planet" ... on Linux.
>>
>>    Different "init" level (5 is not included, 3 is equivalent to 2), a
>>lot of etc...
>>
>>    About SysV init dir they have also difference.
>>
>>    Just to be "rude" with SuSE ... will be better if they forget what
>>they did
>>    in the past and moves to join to "the rest of us" .
>>

>You are rude, because you do not know what you are talking about here. Take a
>look at SuSE 8.0 and you will realize that all of your problems are now
>"fixed".

Probably 8.0 solve "something".

After more than three years ... evaluating and writing training for SuSE
(and also
for RedHat, ... Caldera, LinuxPPC, etc) ... I move my attention to "build" a
distribution ... instead to follows "strange" implementations.

SuSE ... is the most strange ... beleive me.

If you are now "complaint" ... this is good for you ...

What do you will do ... refund the money to all the SuSE clients ... in
the last four years?

With Linux ... everyone can develop what they prefer.

Change init levels number to another sense, re-arrange filesystem
hierarchy ... are propose
this like a UNIX ... is simply very stupid (or not logical, in warm english)

The most "crazy" fact, is SuSE certification. Certifiing people on a
Linux DIFFERENT
from any other UNIX flavor in history.

Where will get a job these SuSE certified people ... at SuSE?

No other companies will offer a job to them.

If you are now "complaint" with other UNIX ... I am happy.

All the other Linux companies ... was "complaint" or "standard" from the
first version:
RedHat, Caldera ... and other that follows these schema.

So ... like I stat before ... SuSE start to forget they strange
behaviour and understand what UNIX  (read Linux)
is.

>The init level differences are now a year old.
>
>And the attitude that 'SuSE is "another planet" ... on Linux' is also wrong.
>SuSE predates Red Hat and have been following the way it was done until Red
>Hat changed everything. This is the reason people from other unices felt more
>at home in older SuSE releases, because these felt more alike.
>
>I'm sorry if you know see me as rude, but there were too many mistakes in your
>mail for me to keep my mouth shot. And since SuSE now does basically what RH
>does,

Great!

Would SuSE refund the money because sell something that 'only' SuSE call
Linux ?

Thanks,
Giovanni

>the discussion at lsb level doesn't make sense anyway.
>
>Bo.

  Future Technologies, The TOTAL Linux Company!

   http://www.futuretg.com
   ftp://ftp.futuretg.com/
   mailto:gorlando at futuretg.com

   Italia:                          USA
   Via Cairoli, 1                   1620 26th Street - 3rd floor South Tower
   33170 - Pordenone (PN)           Santa Monica - CA

   Telefono: +39 0434 - 209 107.
   Fax:      +39 0434 - 209 510.

	http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com -  The best training product ever made!
	http://www.futuretg.com/FTOSX - The best Operating System ever made!