extension of lsb packages

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Sat Mar 2 20:46:46 PST 2002

Erik Troan wrote:
> >     short lsb_compliant;
> >     char reserved[15];
>
> I forgot about the reserved bits -- that's obviously a better way to
> do this then I suggested as it will preserve compatibility with old
> versions of RPM (though a byte will suffice).

Yeah, how about something like this:

unsigned char lsb_major, lsb_minor;

Then file could spit out something like "rpm (LSB 1.1 compliant)", or
even "LSB package v1.1".

Dan Keagal has a point here:
> I personally feel that, even if `file` can distinguish lsb's from rpm's,
> lsb packages should end in .lsb.  After all, people depend on the .tgz
> and .gz suffixes, don't they?  The gzip command likes the .gz suffix,
> doesn't it?  Make obeys suffixes, doesn't it?

People talk about deb's and rpm's and so forth. "lsb package" is
unwieldly on the toungue, might as well call it a ".lsb". It would
suffice for the spec to say that .lsb was the preferred extention, but
that proper way to check is to find this byte at that offset.

--
see shy jo, who would like to make alien use file to detect rpm's and
            deb's, but has doubts that file can, on all the varied