[Lsb-CommonPackaging] Re: extension of lsb packages

Anthony W. Youngman Anthony.Youngman at ECA-International.com
Wed Mar 6 00:10:19 PST 2002

Which is why I'm trying to get a new standard that says "here's an api. With
this, ANY packaging program can talk to ANY distro package database and
query it".

Bingo. All packaging problems solved. You can run any installer on top of
any distro and check dependencies, log the fact that you've installed stuff,
etc etc. The trouble with current install mechanisms is that they are
installer, DBMS, packager, and god knows what else all stuffed into one
bundle. If we separate the separate functions into separate tools like all
good linusers do, then the problem gets a lot simpler.

Of course, the fly in the ointment is this becomes a "standard creating"
exercise, rather than the current "codifying existing standards" exercise
and there'll be horrendous politics. But if you think about it, the proposed
approach will work perfectly, even with an ISV who wishes to create a
totally proprietary, obscured to the hilt, 100% totally self owned code,
setup.exe to run on a lsb-compliant system, AND IT WILL WORK. If we can
address and allow for that setup, it then makes it easy for every one else
to be far more sharing and co-operative.

Think about it. Email me off line. It's on-topic for LSB 2, but we're not
supposed to be discussing it for LSB 1.

Cheers,
Wol