[lsb-futures] RE: User settings

Matt Wilson msw at redhat.com
Tue Mar 26 07:55:44 PST 2002

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 05:17:56PM +0200, Emanuel Dejanu wrote:

> As I have said that this should be a must for the new programs.
> And in time current programs will follow this road. All we need
> is a standard.
> I still hope that LSB will make thinks right: use $HOME/.settings to
> keep user settings.

My opinion of the LSB's role seems to differ from yours.  In my
opinion the LSB exists to identify and standardize on best current
practice.  There is no industry precedence for using $HOME/.settings,
nor is there a move in that direction.  The LSB does not exist to
strong arm ISVs into doing things in accordance to the whims of any
one person.

If there is a strong technical reason that this change is absolutely
required for things like proper application co-existence, the LSB
should entertain the suggestion.

Cheers,

Matt

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to lsb-discuss-request at lists.linuxbase.org