[lsb-discuss] Re: Install location for binaries?

Jim Knoble jmknoble at pobox.com
Thu Nov 14 21:52:58 PST 2002

[Originally from <rpm-list at redhat.com>.
 Please followup to <lsb-discuss at freestandards.org>.]

Circa 2002-11-15 08:30:21 +0800 dixit alan sinclair:

: apologies for this drifting off-topic (off RPM that is)
: but I really will appreciate pointers to educate myself
:
: > You'd need to know if the target machine is using
: > the kernel module loader, in which case  ppost
: > and ppostun would be scriptlets to add the required
: > lines to  /etc/modules.conf.  If the  kernel module
: > loader is  not being used (read: modules are to be
: > loaded "manually"), those scriptlets would have to
: > modify whichever  facility is  going to be  used
:
: we have two modules which need to be loaded, one before
: and one after the linux boot plumbs the network adapters
: -- please can someone point me to any info that would
: help me learn how?   I.e. not to RPM docs, but info on
: how linux orders the starting of things, and how to add
: our modules into the process.
:
: E.g. I've read some on writing rc scripts, but haven't
: found how these are ordered (nor whether net adapters
: are enumerated there.

Right now, this is mostly implementation-dependent.  The Linux Standard
Base (LSB, http://www.linuxbase.org/ ) contains some
distribution-independent provisions for ordering of startup scripts,
which should work on LSB-compliant environments.

The current LSB draft is v1.3, which is available for public review now
( http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/index.shtml ).  In particular, the
chapter on System Initialization looks like it would be helpful
( http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/sysinit.html ).

[Please followup to <lsb-discuss at freestandards.org>.]

--
jim knoble  |  jmknoble at pobox.com  |  http://www.pobox.com/~jmknoble/
(GnuPG fingerprint: 31C4:8AAC:F24E:A70C:4000::BBF4:289F:EAA8:1381:1491)