[lsb-discuss] Extending Linux - Request for Input

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Fri Nov 15 19:37:13 PST 2002

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:00:14 -0600 Doug Beattie <dbb at linkexplorer.com>
wrote:
> As you know, LSB 1.2 is complete.
>
> Now it is time to expand LSB's coverage, to better meet the needs of
> Linux based application developers and "normalize" the use and
> acceptance of free and open source software.
>
> Our goal is to increase compatibility among runtime environments.
> With this, application developers will find it easier to develop
> their applications for Linux with less concern for having to support
> the variations in APIs that they face today. Greater adoption of
> Linux by application developers will mean more applications and
> functionality for the platform.
>
> This is the brainstorming phase, all ideas are welcome. Think about
> what you would like done in an ideal world with unlimited resources.
> The output of this survey will be used to help build the LSB road
> map.
>
> Please give your input soon at www.freestandards.org/linuxfuture

The only thing missing from the standard, IMHO, is a reliable, stable,
workable way to run multiple versions of gnome/kde/xfree, etc.  A
great many of the distros would be LSB compliant in a heartbeat if
there were a good alternative for these mega packages.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
Redhat 7.3 system