[lsb-discuss] force-reload/restart

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Sat Aug 9 00:26:47 PDT 2003

Hi,

currently we define "force-reload" as "cause the configuration to be
reloaded if the service supports this, otherwise restart the service".

And we define "restart" as "stop and restart the service if the
service is already running, otherwise start the service".

The result is: If a service supports SIGHUP and is not running, a
"force-reload" will give you an error. If a service does not support
SIGHUP, a "force-reload" will start the service, if it is not running
before.

So I suggest do change "force-reload" to:
"cause the configuration to be reloaded if the service supports this,
otherwise restart the service if it is running".

   Thorsten

Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk at suse.de
SuSE Linux AG        Deutschherrnstr. 15-19        D-90429 Nuernberg