[lsb-discuss] force-reload/restart

Tobias Burnus tobias.burnus at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Aug 12 04:15:54 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> currently we define "force-reload" as "cause the configuration to be
> reloaded if the service supports this, otherwise restart the service".
> And we define "restart" as "stop and restart the service if the
> service is already running, otherwise start the service".
>
> The result is: If a service supports SIGHUP and is not running, a
> "force-reload" will give you an error. If a service does not support
> SIGHUP, a "force-reload" will start the service, if it is not running
> before.

And there is in addition [as a slight contradiction]:
"If the service is not running the reload and the force-reload commands
 should not start the service."

(Note the "should" opposed to a "must".)

> So I suggest do change "force-reload" to:
> "cause the configuration to be reloaded if the service supports this,
> otherwise restart the service if it is running".

I'm fine with this.

Any objections to this patch which requires that force-reload doesn't
start a not-running servce?

Questions:
- Should the sentence
  "If the service is not running the reload and the force-reload commands
   must not start the service."
  be present as clarification of reload? Or is this obvious?
  (current patch drops the cited sentence with "should")

- Is the exit status code clear for force-reload if the service is not
  running? Given the discussion concerning "try-restart" it might not be
  the case. The attached patch adds
  "- running "reload" on a service already stopped or not running",
  "- running "force-reload" on a service already stopped or not running"
  to the list of actions which shall be considered successful.

Tobias