[lsb-discuss] restart behavior (initscript)

Mark Hatle fray at mvista.com
Tue Aug 12 08:05:19 PDT 2003

Ademar de Souza Reis Jr. wrote:
> I agree that it could be atomic, and I'm about to change our internal
> policy to *enforce* that behavior when possible.
>
> If it's a consensus, It would be nice to add a note like this to the "Init
> Script Actions" document (sorry for not providing a patch):
>
> "A restart can be atomic, i.e. if the service can not be started after a
> stop, a restart can return an error refusing to stop the service in the
> first place."

It's great to set policies, but how on earth am I supposed to verify
that a service can't be started w/o trying to start it?  ;)

Most daemons that I am aware of don't have a "will it run" option.  This
is why I previously indicated that my feelings are that restart should
stop, then start.  If the start doesn't succeed send an appropriate
error to the user.

If the clafication is to allow for daemons that have the ability to
predict if they can be restarted, then that is fine.. I don't
necessarily like the wording, but I can't come up with anything better.

--Mark