[lsb-discuss] gLSB: sysinit: clearify algorithm for determining status of programs
tobias.burnus at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 28 12:42:06 PDT 2003
this patch does:
- use some more caps for the titles for consistancy
- move is-program-running section from pidofproc into a dedicated
- programs should delete pidfile if they are stopped
- discourage to use _only_ /proc/PID/exe to check whether a program is
running since this prevents e.g. perl-based daemons
See bug #677744 and
This affects Debian. (RedHat and SuSE are known to be not-affected.)
- killproc should delete the pidfile, if the program has been stopped
and the file still exists.
Reasoning: a SIGKILLed program can not remove it itself.
- pidofproc shall only return pids of running processes.
The changes should reflect the de-facto used methods, except for:
- check whether a program is running for script-based daemons
-> this fails at least in Debian (Debian bug 167757)
- deleting of the pid file by killproc if the program is no longer
- returning only pids of running processes
(SuSE and RedHat check for this, Debian, see bug 207639)
Note that those are only "should" clauses.
(Distributors:) Please check whether there is any clash with a current
implementation which behaviour should be still allowed or used instead.
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
More information about the lsb-discuss