[lsb-discuss] Some questions on the LSB build environment

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Feb 1 14:41:17 PST 2003

Mike Hearn wrote:
>>But having a dependency on a system library that's not
>>in LSB, as you propose, is right out.
>

> I know that's true for LSB certified apps proper, but all I'm really
> interested in is making it use the LSB versions in glibc, as that seems
> to be the main sticking point in making binaries portable between
> distros, the rest of the LSB doesn't concern me a huge deal right now.

Unfortunately, if you ship an app that dynamically links to
a system library like qt or some gnome library, and that
library links to some *other* libc than the one your app
links to, you might run into serious trouble.  And glibc
is going through some big changes now with respect to
threading, so trouble is more likely than you might imagine.

So while you might be able to do what you want, it
might not give you the portability you expected.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com