[lsb-discuss] Some questions on the LSB build environment

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Sun Feb 2 15:56:19 PST 2003

At 2003/2/1 22:39+0000  Mike Hearn writes:

> When you link against the LSB stub glibc/libX etc do you actually have
> to have those stub libs present on the system, or are they simply used
> at build time to force the linker to use the LSB versions of the libc
> symbols?

They are not needed on the runtime system. As you say they are needed
only to force the linker to generate a binary that uses the correct
version of the various interfaces (and also serves as a check to
ensure you don't use non LSB interfaces in those libraries).

In order to dynamically link against non lsb libraries I think you
will have to make some modifications to lsbcc or use lsbdev which will
allow you to more precisely control which libraries are statically or
dynamically linked. However if your non lsb shared library uses libc
interfaces not in the LSB then you won't be able to link. One way to
work around this problem would be to build a stub libc library with
the extra interfaces that you need. I think its possible to do what
you want, its just going to take a bit of work to setup the build
environment properly.

Regards,

Chris
cyeoh at au.ibm.com