[lsb-discuss] Some questions on the LSB build environment

Mike Hearn mike at mail.com
Tue Feb 4 06:02:24 PST 2003

> You might want to get a gentoo system up and running, and
> try building an entire distribution with your changes.
> That's how a couple of very early adopters of the recent
> glibc changes tested things out before the mainstream
> distros got around to providing packages.

Yeah, good idea. I'll look into that.

> BTW the LSB brand is, from what I can tell,
> oriented around zero external dependencies simply because
> that's the only way to be really bulletproof.  If you
> run into trouble because you're doing something different,
> please don't blame the LSB... I'd hate for anyone to
> think the LSB was flaky because a rebel used the LSB
> libraries and tools in a way not intended by the authors
> of the LSB.

A rebel? Not sure if that's good or bad.....

No, don't worry, if zero dependancies is the rule, then clearly I'm not going
to claim the apps are LSB compliant, because they're not. If I was to mention
the LSB at all, it'd be in the sense of "and to avoid problems with symvers in
glibc, you can use these tools which the LSB project has kindly written",
something like that.

By the way, does anybody know what happened to the LSB taskforces on universal
packaging?